LGBTQIA+ AWARENESS IN PHYSICAL THERAPY
DISCRIMINATION IN THE CLINIC IS REAL
- 19% were refused medical care due to their transgender or gender non-conforming status
- 28% of transgender respondents had postponed medical care because they feared disrespect and harassment
- 50% reported having to teach their medical providers about transgender care.
The realities of the health care discrimination, combined with widespread provider ignorance of transgender health needs “deters from seeking and receiving quality health care.
WE ARE LGBTQIA+ FRIENDLY
- Our Advanced Pelvic Floor Therapist, Zarina Vitebsky,was trained by Hollis Herman (founder & instructor of Herman & Wallace and Transgender Advocate)
- Staff and clinicians are provided with gender sensitivity training
- All Therapy conducted in private rooms
- All intake forms created & approved by LGBTQIA+ standards
The Williams Institute estimated in 2016 that 0.6% of the U.S. population or roughly 1.4 million people identified as transgender (Flores, 2016). This was
a 50% increase from a 2011 survey which estimated only 0.3% or 700,000 people identified as transgender (Gates, 2011).
In 2015 the National Center for Transgender Equality performed a groundbreaking survey of 27,215 respondents with the aim to “understand the lives and experiences of transgender people in the United States and the disparities that many transgender people face” (“About,”n.d., para. 1).
- 33% of individuals who saw a health care provider had at least one negative experience related to being transgender (National Center for Transgender Equality, 2015)
- 23% of respondents did not see a doctor when they needed to because of fear of being mistreated as a transgender person (National Center for Transgender Equality, 2015)
HOW WE TREAT PFD
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Manual therapy
- Myofascial release
- Modified Thiele’s massage for high tone
- TrP release
- Muscle uptraining / downtraining
- Therapeutic exercise
- Milli Expanding Dilator
- Scar release
- Home program
- Position modification